Trauma informed bodywork utilizes safe touch to gently unravel deeply held patterns of physical, mental & energetic tension that unprocessed trauma can create in the body. Generally speaking, massage administered by a trained, “Trauma Informed LMT” who brings understanding, awareness & presence to the massage is trauma informed bodywork. That being said, I offer a protocol for Trauma Informed Bodywork sessions specifically designed to support those who are new to experiencing safe touch, or are re-introducing themselves to safe touch.
In a trauma-specific treatment you can expect:
- Consent. We will discuss the details of your session and collaborate to ensure you are comfortable with the session plan and the areas of the body addressed.
- To experience the healing power of safe, comforting touch.
- Light to medium pressure.
- Gentle compressions, joint mobilization, gentle rocking, gentle stretching.
- Enhanced body awareness and proprioception through body awareness exercises.
- An example of an awareness exercise would be the therapist placing their hands over different areas of the hand, arm & shoulder while naming the part of the body they are acknowledging. This exercise is reminiscent of Yoga Nidra, a form of guided meditation where consciousness is shifted throughout the body. The practice of using touch allows the exercise to become more easily accessible.
- There is also an opportunity to incorporate breathwork, guided imagery & affirmations into the session.
- To remain fully clothed. Come in your favorite comfy clothes! Sweatpants, athletic shorts, yoga pants, t-shirt, sweater - whatever makes you feel cozy & secure.
- A 60 minute long session.
- Are currently working with a licensed psychotherapist.
- Are at a point in their recovery where they are ready to include touch therapy into their healing work.
- Experience C-PTSD, PTSD, anxiety and/or depression.
- Feel disconnected / numb and want to strengthen the body / mind connection.
- Consider themselves HSP’s - highly sensitive people.
- Would like to experience the benefits of massage but don’t feel comfortable at this point in time with conventional or traditional massage.
- Are in the acute phase of trauma.
- Are in the early stage of their healing journey.
- Have not worked with a licensed professional regarding their trauma.
- Are not currently able to self-regulate.
- Feel there is a high chance they would be triggered by touch within the healing context.
To schedule a trauma informed massage session, please email me directly at email@example.com